The online business scenario is constantly changing.
What worked for you last year, need not necessarily bring you good results this time around.
In the fast-paced internet medium, how do businesses keep their heads up?
Regular audits… that’s how!
No matter how long you’ve been in online business, it’s essential to conduct a regular audit. You may choose to do it on a quarterly, semi-annual or annual basis, but it has to be done.
Here are a few reasons why a regular website audit will benefit your online business.
Benefits of a Website Audit
1. Discover what works
A comprehensive audit of your website will give you adequate information to understand what’s working for your business. For example, you might find that a majority of your website traffic comes from Facebook. In that case, you know that you must continue being active on Facebook and engage with your target audience there.
2. Rectify inconsistencies
While your website may be doing well, an audit will help you identify inconsistencies in its performance. For example, let’s say you have a content rich page that gets a lot of visitors. But it also has a high bounce rate. An audit will help you identify this issue and modify the content so it encourages readers to visit other related pages on your website.
3. Guidance on how to move forward
Doing a regular audit of your website (and other online channels that your business has an active presence on) will give you direction on where to channel your online marketing efforts. For example, you might notice that a particular type of content resonates with your audience. This will guide you to brainstorm and create more content on a similar vein that would prove to be popular.
The key principle is to not just to perform the online audit of your business. What matters is what you do with the results of the audit.
Let’s take a look at some popular audit tools that you can use, and how you can use the results to make your online business better.
Website Audit Tools
WooRank performs an instant review of your business website and rates it across 70+ parameters. The audit takes just a few seconds and does not require a sign up. You can opt for a 14 day free trial if you want to make use of other SEO tools that WooRank has to offer.
- Lists how the website fares on various SEO optimization factors such as headings, usage of keywords and hyperlinks.
- Displays how the site looks on a mobile screen and tests for mobile friendliness.
- Tests the ease of site usability for factors such as language, load time and data markup.
- Monitors the site visitors, traffic and user sessions.
- Reviews the engagement of the site across various social media platforms.
The obvious intent of this free tool is to get you to sign up for the WooRank paid tools. But you can also use the information displayed to identify errors on your site and optimize it better.
2. Rank Watch
Rank Watch is another free online tool that conducts an instant audit of your business website. The entire process takes less than a minute and does not require any sign up.
- Provides a comprehensive audit of the website based on various parameters related to SEO, mobile, social, speed, visitors and technology.
- The option to test the website for certain keywords is also available.
- Gives a list of recommendations to improve your website’s overall score.
- You can download the audit results as a PDF and peruse it at your own pace.
The results are categorized and displayed according to priority. You can scope out the major errors that have high priority and work on resolving them first. Later you can move on to the moderate errors and rectify them.
SEO Audit Tools
3. Zadro Web
Zadro Web has a free online SEO auditor that accepts your website URL and performs a complete review in 30 seconds.
- The four main parameters it showcases are page authority, domain authority, load time and Google page speed.
- It provides an overall score based on the number of successful tests, warning signs and errors on your site.
- Other parameters that the tool checks for are organic traffic, SEO stats, crawl stats, source code, social and URL stats.
- To receive a PDF copy of your results, you’ll have to provide your email ID.
For warnings and errors that are thrown up during the audit, the tool also provides valuable advice that you can easily implement on your site and increase your score.
SEOptimer is a free online website review and SEO audit tool. It performs perform a detailed analysis of your website based on about 100 parameters.
- The tool provides an overall grade for your website based on how it performs, the highest being A+.
- Grades are also given for individual categories such as SEO, performance, UI/mobile, social and security.
- The audit results comes with a list of recommendations that you can follow to improve your website.
- You can download the audit results and the recommendations as a PDF.
While the audit is not super detailed, the list of recommendations is quite helpful. They are also listed according to priority, so you can start working from the top down.
Social Media Audit Tools
Simply Measured has a host of free social media analytics tools to analyze your engagement across various social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- In depth analysis of Facebook pages including trends, demographics, activity, competitors and content.
- Traffic analysis to find out how different social media channels impact your website performance.
- Review of which sources bring the most traffic to your website.
While the tools are free, you do have to provide your business details in order to receive the reports via email. The results will help you gauge which social media platforms you need to spend more time on, and what kind of content appeals to your audience.
Keyhole enables the real-time tracking of various social parameters such as hashtags, accounts, keywords, mentions and URLs across Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, as applicable.
- Provides detailed reports on how your social media accounts are performing.
- A centralized dashboard that gives you a bird’s eye view of all the metrics that are being tracked.
- Since it is a real-time tracker, it can prove to be very useful during major campaigns and launches.
- A 3 day free trial gives you full access to track up to 3 hashtags, keywords and accounts, and up to 10 influencers.
You can take advantage of the 3 day free trial (no credit card required). You can monitor the dashboard during major events and tweak them to get better results.
Backlink Audit Tools
This is one of the most popular tools to analyze the backlinks on your website. The free tool does not require a sign up and you can use it to greatly improve the quality of your backlinks, but it does have a daily limit on the number of links you peruse.
- Displays the domain and page authority of your site along with a list of all inbound links.
- Gives a list of the top pages on your site along with its social shares and number of inbound links.
- Lists out phrases and terms that are used to link to your site.
Knowing the domain and page authority of inbound links can help you improve your link building efforts. You can also opt for the Moz Pro 30 day free trial to take advantage of other features such as spam analysis and link opportunities.
Monitor Backlinks has a free backlink checker SEO tool that helps you identify all the sites that link back to your website.
- Gets you the top backlinks that point to your site, but only the highest backlink per domain is shown.
- The free tool allows you to check for backlinks once a week.
- If you register for the 30 day free trial of the main tool, you will get access to real time backlink monitoring, keyword rankings and allow you to better manage your backlinks.
Getting a list of the top ranking backlinks to your site will help you approach similar websites for new link building opportunities.
Content Audit Tools
This is a free online tool that checks your website for any dead links. The free version can check approximately 3000 pages within your website.
- Scans your entire website for broken internal and external links.
- Detects stale links that compromise your site’s integrity.
- Shows the pages that throw 404 errors and other unsuccessful response codes.
It tells you the exact location where the bad link was found, so you can remove/modify it accordingly. This helps you keep your website up to date and be more relevant for visitors.
Siteliner is an all in one website content audit tool that peruses your site to find duplicate content, broken links and other inconsistencies with respect to the content.
- The free scan is limited to 250 pages.
- Provides a list of pages that were not scanned because they are not indexed.
- Gives the full rundown of broken outbound links that need to be fixed.
- It also gives you a comparison of how your content fares with other sites that were scanned by the tool.
The main thing you need to do after running this audit is remove your duplicate content. The second task would be to fix the broken links and ensure all your main pages are indexed correctly.
Website Speed Audit Tools
This free online Google tool checks the performance of your site and how fast it loads on a mobile device and a desktop.
- Scores your website based on how fast it loads.
- Provides two lists of action items that you can take to improve the page speed – one for mobile devices and the other for desktop.
- The results are very elaborate so it gives you a clear direction on what you can do.
The tool provides suggestions based on how important a particular parameter is. You can solve the issues that come under the “Should Fix” category first, and then work on those under “Consider Fixing” category.
Pingdom has a free online tool to test your website speed. It checks the page loading time, analyzes the results and finds major bottlenecks.
- You can choose to test the speed from various geographical location in Europe, USA and Australia.
- The results are pretty detailed and gives specific details such as the page size and individual response codes.
- The type of content access is also listed such as scripts, images, CSS, HTML, etc. so you get a fair idea of what’s killing your speed.
The performance insights are graded from A to F. You can start working out the issues that are graded F and then move ahead.
Mobile Friendliness Audit Tools
This is Google’s own free tool to verify how mobile friendly your website is. Given that more people access websites through their mobile devices, mobile friendliness is of paramount importance.
- The tool is simple and straightforward to use.
- You can also submit the site to Google once its mobile-friendliness is confirmed.
- You have the option to look into a site-wide mobile usability report.
The mobile usability report points out issues that may hinder mobile users from effectively using your site. The individual pages with issues are listed, so you can take the recommended action right away.
14. Browser Stack
Browser Stack is online tool that checks the responsiveness of your website across various devices and screen sizes. While this is a paid tool, you can sign up for a 30 minute free trial to quickly check the mobile friendliness of your website.
- You can generate actual screenshots of how your site looks on different phones, tablets, desktops and browsers.
- There is the option to view the site in portrait and landscape mode.
- You can also alter the monitor size and/or screen size to mimic various devices where you site may be accessed.
The free trial does not give you much time to check your site thoroughly, but it will show you glaring errors that may put off mobile users. You can fix these issues with your site and make it more mobile friendly.
There are so many online tools that you can use to audit your business website. These are just a selection of the more reliable ones that I would choose.
I hope you put these tools to good use, and make your site more user friendly and search engine friendly.