The internet is constantly evolving day by day. According to a recent survey conducted by Internet World Stats, about 48.6 % of the global population are internet users. This is a whopping 887.9 % rise in internet penetration over the last 15 years.
With the advent of social media and the smartphone revolution, businesses are able to reach an infinite audience across the globe. This has given birth to the concept of digital marketing. Colossal changes in technology have also transformed the way companies engage in digital marketing.
Digital marketing encompasses activities like content marketing, social media marketing, mobile marketing, e-mail marketing, search engine optimization (SEO), lead generation, link building, and so on. All these online marketing strategies are witnessing rapid growth and new trends are emerging every day.
We have compiled some of the latest statistics on these marketing strategies from leading sources like Content Marketing Institute (CMI), eMarketer, Econsultancy, Salesforce, Social Media Examiner to name a few.
The purpose of this article is to give you an insight about the very recent changes that have occurred in the field of digital marketing and how businesses can incorporate this knowledge for their future growth.
Do check out these 51 vital digital marketing statistics :
- Content seems to be the ultimate king when it comes to tactics adopted for B2B Marketing. A survey by Kapost found 81% of B2B Marketers in the US investing in Content Marketing. (eMarketer)
- 77 % of marketers agree that content marketing is core to their business. Among marketers who agree content marketing is core to their business, 48% see a direct link to primary revenue. (Salesforce)
- Long form content of over 1,000 words consistently receives more shares and links than shorter form content. (Moz)
- 48% of B2B marketers currently use content marketing as part of their marketing strategy, yet only 32% have a documented content marketing strategy (CMI)
- 66% of B2B marketers use Search Engine Marketing (SEM) as their paid advertising method to distribute/promote content (CMI)
- 60% of B2B marketers report that their top challenge in 2016 will be producing engaging content. 57% say measuring content effectiveness will be their greatest challenge. (CMI)
- 45 % of marketers say blogging is their #1 most important content strategy. (Social Media Examiner)
- 59% content marketers say that videos are the most effective tactics for B2C organization. (CMI)
- 42 % B2C marketers place more importance on visual content than B2B marketers. (Social Media Examiner)
- Social media content is the most preferred content marketing tactic for B2B marketers with 93% using it. (CMI)
- 60% of marketers predict the use of infographics will increase in 2016 compared to 2015 (CMO Council)
- 72% of marketers worldwide said relevant content creationwas the most effective SEO tactic according to a June 2015 report from Ascend2. 48% of respondents identified keyword/phrase research as the most effective SEO tactic. (Marketing Profs)
- 52% of marketers say relevant link-building is one of the most difficult SEO tactics they employ (Marketing Profs)
- 78 % marketers feel that content based link building is the most effective link building tactic (Search Engine Watch)
- 63% of marketers create content by buyer persona; 38% by vertical; 30% by geography; and 30% by account or customer (Curata)
- 85% of B2B marketers say lead generation will be their most important content marketing goal in 2016. Sales will be their second priority. (CMI)
- Google increased the width of the search results section by 17 %. (Moz)
- Only about 22% of businesses are satisfied with their conversion rates. (Econsultancy)
- A/B Testing is the most popular form of conversion rate optimization (CRO) with 56% marketers using this method. (Econsultancy)
- Up to 78% of enterprise marketers think that their team is very or even extremely effective in storytelling. (Marketing Charts)
- According to BrightLocal, 24% of SEO professionals UK and North America believe that social shares is a key performance indicator for a piece of blog content while 23% say unique visits are important. (eMarketer)
- 83% of B2B marketers rely on email as a primary marketing platform (CMI)
- 80% of marketers agree that email is core to their business. Among those, nearly half (49%) say email is directly linked to their business’ primary revenue source. (Salesforce)
- 88% of respondents of the survey conducted by dotmailer prefer using email marketing software as their marketing technology application. (eMarketer)
- According to a survey by Email on Acid, 56.9% marketers worldwide use Responsive Email Templates as compared to Fluid Hybrid Design which is used by only 7.9%. (eMarketer)
- Sending a series of three abandoned cart email reminders brings 131 % more orders than a single cart recovery mail. Similarly, sending a series of welcome emails generates upto 23% more orders than a single welcome email. (Soundest)
- Customers open emails more actively during the first half of the month, but buy more during the second. (Soundest)
- Email is the top source of analytics data for marketers, with 41% using their email marketing performance data. (Forbes)
- Linking to video content in an email increases CTR by 200-300 % (HubSpot)
- Approximately 2.34 billion people, or 32.0% of the global population and 68.3% of internet users, will access a social network regularly in 2016. (eMarketer)
- Users spend 3 times longer watching Facebook Live videos (Facebook Newsroom)
- In 2016, 62.6 % companies are expected to invest in social media for content creation; 43.6% in analytics. (CMO Survey)
- The current social media spending across sectors is 10.6% and is expected to increase to 13.2% in the next one year and to 20.9% in the next 5 years. (CMO Survey)
- Looking at ROI and the social networks that produce the best results for practitioners, Facebook appears to be firmly on top with 95.8% marketers surveyed by Social Fresh preferring Facebook. (eMarketer)
- 79% of marketing leaders agree that mobile marketing — inclusive of SMS, push notifications, mobile apps, or location-based functionality — is core to their business. (Salesforce)
- 61% of mobile users are more likely to contact a local business with a mobile site (BrightLocal)
- Overall, mobile apps are 32% more likely to be a part of an integrated marketing plan than SMS/MMS and 9% more likely than display ads (including mobile ads) (Experian)
- Mobile will account for 50% of all digital ad spend in 2016 (worth $100billion) (Mobile Marketing)
- It’s estimated mobile video will account for 75% of total mobile data traffic by 2020. (Facebook Business)
- 28% of global digital companies strongly agree they try to differentiate through customer experience. (Econsultancy)
- Strategy is the key building block for global digital companies to build brilliant customer experience. (Econsultancy)
- 81% of marketers face challenges achieving a single customer view (Experian)
- 73% of companies from selected global markets which work with data use websites to collect it. (Experian)
- 84% of organizations see data as an integral part of forming a business strategy. (Experian)
- 86% of the marketers build segmented audiences for paid advertising. (Experian)
- 31% of B2B marketers use Sales Lead Quality as their organization’s most important metric. (CMI)
- By 2021, marketing leaders will spend 75 % of their total budget on digital marketing as compared to traditional marketing. (Salesforce)
- 84% marketers believe that inbound and outbound tactics together drive businesses. (Demand Metric)
- In a survey by Kapost, about 71 % of B2B marketers had already invested or plan to invest in CRM focussed marketing technology like SalesForce, 63% in marketing automation and 57% in content management systems (eMarketer)
- 52 % of companies target increasing sales revenue as the most important objective of an effective marketing strategy; 50% target increasing lead generation (Ascend2)
- Marketers who check their metrics 3x+ times a week are over 20% more likelyto achieve a positive ROI (State of Inbound)
- Content continues to rule the roost in digital marketing. So, if your business has to flourish in the sea of competition, you must create quality content that will completely engage with your customers. Blogging is a very good choice of content marketing. Make sure that your blog article is having atleast 1000 words. Also include different forms of content like images, videos, audios, etc.
- Contrary to the popular belief that email revolution is dead, email marketing is still an efficient way of reaching out to target audience with 88% advertiser’s preferring this method. Sending a series of welcome emails and cart reminder mails to customers will be beneficial for E-commerce sites.
- Mobile marketing campaigns have tremendous potential in attracting customers with 79% marketers confirming that it is the key to their business. For those companies that aim for a specific clientele, this is a good choice. It ensures a dual way of communication – both the buyer and the seller can directly interact with each other.
- Social media marketing is catching up with companies and organizations ready to invest more in this field. 95.8% marketers agree that Facebook gives them the best ROI. Small enterprises can leverage the power of social media to accelerate their business.
As a business owner or an aspiring entrepreneur, you can analyze these useful statistics and implement the key takeaways in your marketing campaigns to boost your sales and overall business revenue.
Interested in amplifying your digital marketing efforts? We can help you…
Contact us today!